JEFFERSON COUNTY, N.Y. -- A Jefferson County family was forced out of their home after a fire broke out in their garage. It happened at a home on North Street in the Town of Adams Monday afternoon.
The family called 911 after noticing heavy smoke and flames coming from the garage.
Fire officials say there was a quick response, but there wasn't much that could be done to keep the fire from spreading to the home and causing significant damage.
"The fire had a pretty good start when the first arriving units got here. A lot of flames. The garage was pretty well involved with fire. It was a significant challenge, the way the fire was able to get over into the house part," said Jefferson County Deputy Fire Coordinator Bob Simpson.
Fire officials say the family was lucky to escape without any injuries, but won't be able to get back into the home for quite some time.